The European Theological Seminary (ETS) is a co-educational institution of academic and practical training for people called by God to prepare for Christian ministry. The European Theological Seminary is an educational institution of the Church of God in Europe, a Pentecostal denomination that is represented in most countries in Europe as well as throughout the world. The international headquarters for the Church of God is in Cleveland, Tennessee (USA).
The European Theological Seminary (formerly known as the European Bible Seminary) began training students from Germany and other German-speaking countries in 1948. Since 1964 the seminary has trained students from Europe and other parts of the world. All courses are taught simultaneously in English and German. From 1973 to 2002 the school was located in Rudersberg, near Schorndorf, but in the summer of 2002 moved to its new location in Kniebis, near Freudenstadt in the Black Forest.
As a Church of God educational institution, the European Theological Seminary is committed to the evangelical, Pentecostal position of its sponsoring denomination.
- In the verbal inspiration of the Bible.
- In one God eternally existing in three persons; namely, the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
- That Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of the Father, conceived of the Holy Ghost, and born of the Virgin Mary, that Jesus was crucified, buried, and raised from the dead, and that He ascended to heaven and is today at the right hand of the Father as the Intercessor.
- That all have sinned and come short of the glory of God and that repentance is commanded of God for all, and necessary for forgiveness of sins.
- That justification, regeneration, and the new birth are wrought by faith in the blood of Jesus Christ.
- In sanctification subsequent to the new birth, through faith in the blood of Christ, through the Word, and by the Holy Ghost.
- Holiness to be God‘s standard of living for His people.
- In the baptism with the Holy Ghost subsequent to a clean heart.
- In speaking with other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance and that it is the initial evidence of the baptism of the Holy Ghost.
- In water baptism by immersion, and that all who repent should be baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son and the Holy Ghost.
- That divine healing is provided for all in the atonement.
- In the Lord‘s Supper and washing of the saints’ feet.
- In the premillennial second coming of Jesus. First, to resurrect the righteous dead and to catch away the living saints to Him in the air. Second, to reign on the earth a thousand years.
- In the bodily resurrection; eternal life for the righteous, and eternal punishment for the wicked.
Purpose of the Handbook
The purpose of this Handbook is to orient the student to his/her studies and life at the school. Some rules are absolutely necessary in the best interest of the school community. These are described in the following pages. All ETS students are to read the Handbook and assume responsibility for its content.