At ETS the Bachelor of Theology (equivalent) can be attained with three years of full-time study. It combines theoretical knowledge with practical application and Christian ministry experience and is designed to equip the student for work in a local church, mission or parachurch activity.
The Foundation Certificate is a required basis for the studies that follow hence its competencies apply to the B.Th. plus the following for the Pastoral Major.
- Acquire a basic understanding of the Bible and use reference works such as Lexica, Concordances and Commentaries effectively.
- Produce a synthesis of the development of the history and theology of the Christian church.
- Understand and apply critical judgment as to the place of the social sciences in Christian ministry.
- During the course of the program to experience spiritual growth, personal development and professional maturity to be able to function competently and responsibly in a leadership capacity.
- Acquire and develop communication and relational skills that will enable practical competence.
- Through spiritual formation and mentoring to appreciate how spiritual development operates.
- To apply the skills and abilities needed for the practice of ministry.
- Apply appropriate methodology in the practice of ministry, employ critical thinking and a range of problem-solving devices.
- Operate efficiently in the biblical languages, Greek and Hebrew.
- Analyze situations, plan and organize programs and events.
- Operate comfortably within a wide range of practical and transferable skills that will enable the successful performance of ministerial tasks.
- Exercise leadership and integrity in the specific ministerial field
- Delegate tasks and authority responsibly.